Reitschulgasse 2, 1010 Vienna, Austria
The VAÖ, Verband der Akademikerinnen Österreichs (Austrian Federation of University Women), is above party and confessional lines. It was founded in 1922 in order to support women studying at university. The federation’s members have various academic backgrounds such as science, economy, management, media, education and politics.
VAÖ is proud to support women in academics, to initiate and host diverse scientific and functional activities, and to endorse and promote social programs and institutions. The federation offers a nationwide and international network and continues to support aspiring young female academics as one of its most important goals.
The federation is organised as one nationwide umbrella organisation with six regional sub-divisions. All entities work together as the umbrella organisation, but also individually on a regional level.
The Austrian Federation of University Women is led by a board of devoted women who aim at creating and maintaining a useful network for women in academics. Besides the national board, each sub-division has its own board.
- Grants for young academics
- Running a co-ed student dorm in Graz, Austria
- Support for refugee women living in Austria (meetings, conversation, financial aid, etc.)
- Grants to young members so that they can attend conferences and international network meetings
- Monthly network meetings and organisation of talks/presentations
- Charity fleamarkets
- Network events
- Organisation of international women’s conferences with over 800 and over 100 participants.
- Establishing and giving out grants to women in academics (e.g. financing of dissertation papers)
GWI – Graduate Women International
UWE – University Women of Europe
Yes, we host interns in our main office in Vienna. The local sub-divisions are also always happy to find helping hands, e.g. for their fundraising activities.